Animal Welfare Specialist
Terms of Employment: Full time, Exempt, At-will
Reports to: International Director of Corporate Outreach
Position Location: Los Angeles or remote
To support Animal Equality’s international corporate outreach, investigations, legal advocacy, and education departments (present in the U.S., UK, India, Mexico, Brazil, Italy, Spain, and Germany) in their efforts to increase protections for millions of farmed animals exploited in the global food supply chain. The Animal Welfare Specialist will stay abreast of the most current science on farmed animal welfare, inform the organization of which standards most significantly reduce the suffering of animals, and advocate for these standards as an expert and representative of the organization in meetings with major food businesses and at industry events.
- Review and stay abreast of the current scientific literature on farmed animal welfare, including animal behavior in natural and artificial conditions, and the effect of common and new animal agricultural systems on animals’ physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing and advise the organization accordingly
- Draft white papers outlining the most pressing farmed animal welfare concerns
- Determine the farming, transport, and slaughter practices which most significantly reduce animal suffering and draft Animal Equality’s position on these standards
- Educate Animal Equality staff on these standards and empower the team to competently and confidently explain and advocate for these standards in meetings with companies
- Join the corporate outreach team in attending meetings with companies and at industry events in order to deliver science-based presentations on farmed animal welfare and better protections
- Provide expert commentary on investigative footage to law enforcement and media
- Perform any other duties assigned by the International Director of Corporate Outreach
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Professional degree and technical knowledge in veterinary science, animal science, zoology, or a related discipline with a preferred focus on farmed animals and on-farm experience
- Proficiency in data analysis, including qualitative and quantitative skills
- Ability to review large amounts of dense research, distill it to the most important points, and translate complex topics into digestible, lay terms
- Ability to confidently communicate in technical terms to experts
- Superior interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, especially when faced with confrontational situations and while under pressure
- Exceptional level of organization, efficiency, and ability to multitask
- Initiative, resourcefulness, adaptability, and an unbeatable work ethic
- Comfort working within time constraints and meeting deadlines without sacrificing accuracy
- Self-motivation to work independently as well as a collegial personality conducive to teamwork
- Willingness to travel extensively both nationally and internationally
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and a high degree of professional ethics
- Professional appearance and adherence to a vegan lifestyle
- Commitment to the objectives of the organization
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Multilingual skills preferred (Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, German)
Salary and Benefits:
Salary based on experience. Benefits package includes health, dental, vision, 401(k) and Flexible Spending Account plans. Casual, companion animal friendly office environment.
How to Apply:
Applicants should email a cover letter stating why you want to work for Animal Equality, resume, and salary requirements.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Animal Equality is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please Note: We are only able to consider applicants who possess United States work authorization.